A GUIDE TO INSTALLING PORCELAIN SHOWER WALLS:
Design and Planning:
- Determine the layout and design of the shower walls.
- Measure the dimensions of the walls to calculate the quantity of porcelain slabs needed.
- Choose the desired porcelain slabs, considering color, pattern, and size.
- Ensure the existing walls are clean, dry, and in good condition.
- Repair any damage or imperfections on the walls.
- Apply a waterproofing membrane to the walls to protect against water damage.
- Install a cement backer board or similar substrate over the waterproofing membrane. This provides a stable surface for the porcelain slabs.
Layout and Cutting:
- Plan the layout of the porcelain slabs, considering any cutouts for fixtures.
- Cut the slabs to fit the dimensions of the walls using a wet saw or other appropriate tools.
- Apply a thin-set adhesive to the back of each porcelain slab and press it onto the prepared substrate.
Leveling and Alignment:
- Ensure each slab is level and properly aligned with adjacent slabs.
- Use spacers to maintain consistent gaps between slabs for grout lines.
- Once the adhesive has cured, apply grout between the porcelain slabs using a rubber float.
- Wipe off excess grout with a damp sponge.
- Seal the grout lines and the surface of the porcelain slabs with a suitable sealer to prevent water penetration and staining.
- Allow the installation to cure according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Inspect the completed installation for any imperfections or areas that may need touch-ups.
It's important to note that the specific steps may vary based on the manufacturer's recommendations and the characteristics of the porcelain slabs being used. Professional installation is recommended for ensuring a successful and durable outcome.
Progranite Surfaces, based in Mukilteo, WA, stands out as one of the premier and most reliable companies specializing in the installation of porcelain slab shower walls. Their pricing is competitive, offering excellent value for the quality of workmanship they deliver. With a deep understanding of how to handle porcelain slabs, Progranite not only ensures a seamless installation but also provides guidance to customers and contractors on the necessary prep work required before templating and installing shower walls.
What sets Progranite Surfaces apart is their commitment to customer satisfaction. They go beyond the installation process, offering valuable advice and assistance in preparing the space for the porcelain slabs. Notably, they have introduced a cost-effective option for customers by providing the choice of purchasing porcelain slab lines either by square foot or by the slab, offering flexibility and potential cost savings.
If you're considering upgrading your shower and desire a t