Minimalist style is a design aesthetic that emphasizes simplicity and functionality. It is characterized by clean lines, uncluttered spaces, and a neutral color palette.
Avoid including unnecessary items in your minimalist design or decor. Minimalism is influenced by the Japanese culture infused with Zen which values simplicity and the present moment, and therefore does not include anything that is not essential to the experience. Instead, focus on simplicity and functionality in your decor choices.
Here are some tips for achieving a minimalist style in your home or workspace:
- DECLUTTER: The first step in achieving a minimalist aesthetic is to get rid of any unnecessary items that are taking up space. Go through your belongings and ask yourself if you really need or use each item. If not, consider donating or selling it.
- CHOOSE A NEUTRAL COLOR PALETTE: Minimalist spaces are often characterized by a neutral color palette. Choose white, black, or shades of grey for your walls, furniture, and decor.
- FOCUS ON FUNCTIONALITY: Minimalist design is all about functionality. Choose furniture and decor that serves a specific purpose and is well-made.
- KEEP IT SIMPLE: Avoid adding too many decorative items or patterns to your space. Instead, focus on a few key pieces that make a statement.
- EDIT & CURATE: Minimalism is about simplicity and intentionality. Edit and curate your space by choosing only the items that bring you joy and serve a specific purpose.
Remember that minimalism is a personal style that can be achieved in many different ways. The key is to find what works best for you and your space.